- For the main character of Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare, see Aogappa. For the Kappa from The Great Yokai War, see Kawataro.
You can improve this article by contributing useful information to this page yourself, or help by discussing ideas on the talk page.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Kappa is a small, reptilian creature with a pool of water on its head, and 'leaves' running around the rim of its pool. The Kappa also has a beak, which gives it a vaguely avian appearance.
History[edit | edit source]
A Kappa was among the yokai led by Aburasumashi who stormed Riemon Tajiyama's mansion, subsequently parading with them into the sunset.
- Main article: Aogappa.
A type of Kappa called Aogappa serves as the film's main character, being the first to confront the Babylonian demon Daimon.
Another Kappa is among the Yokai Navy recruited by Nimenonna to destroy Daimon. He can be seen parading with the other yokai into the sunset at the end of the film.
A Kappa appears in Go! Kotaro Ushiwaka as an enemy monster and ally of Coonjo.
- Main article: Kawataro.
A Kappa named Kawataro plays a major role in the film, similarly to in Spook Warfare.
In this film, a Kappa is looked after by a woman, but is wanted by a band of criminals and mutant fish men. They threaten to use a bomb to destroy all of Japan, and eventually do set it off. However, one of the fish men is caught in the explosion and is mutated into the monster Hangyolas. Fortunately, the Kappa was also mutated into Death Kappa and was able to subdue the rampaging titan. After its fight with Hangyolas, it was soothed by its childhood friend who sang it a song and poured water on its dish. The Kappa, losing its red eyes, slowly disappeared into the ocean.
To be added.
Selected filmography[edit | edit source]
- Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968)
- Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare (1968)
- Yokai Monsters: Along with Ghosts (1969) [mentioned]
- Go! Kotaro Ushiwaka (TV 1974-1975) [episode 17]
- The Great Yokai War (2005)
- Death Kappa (2010)
- The Great Yokai War: Guardians (2021)
Video games[edit | edit source]
- Konami Wai Wai World (1988) - Nintendo Entertainment System
A type of Kappa named Dish-Throwing Gappa (皿投げガッパ appear in the Edo stage of Sara Nage Gappa)Konami Wai Wai World. As its name suggests, the Dish-Throwing Gappa can create and throw dishes.
Dish-Throwing Gappa's sprite in Konami Wai Wai World
Comics[edit | edit source]
To be added.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kappalge, a kaiju who first appeared in Go! Godman, may be based on the Kappa, among other influences.
- The Kappa, much like Gamera, can be seen as a protector of children. It wasn't until Daimon began to feed on the blood of children did he try to rally the other yokai, and forty years later, he became friends with a boy who could see yokai naturally.
Showing 10 comments. When commenting, please remain respectful of other users, stay on topic, and avoid role-playing and excessive punctuation. Comments which violate these guidelines may be removed by administrators.