| Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
In the Court of the King is the first issue of Godzilla: Rulers of Earth. It was released on June 19, 2013.
In the wake of the climactic conclusion of Godzilla #13 comes a brand new series! Dozens of monsters have risen from the depth and are staking out their own territory, regardless of humanity's political borders! A war of dominance begins... will Godzilla end up on top? First he'll have to beat a new upstart... Zilla!"
An unknown fast-moving monster is detected somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, and is swimming towards Honolulu, Hawaii. A character named Lucy Casprell enters a hotel room at Honolulu. Then, Gigan wakes up and ends up in Kumonga's turf in the Grand Canyon, Arizona. Kumonga starts covering Gigan in webbing until Gigan cuts off one of Kumonga's limbs. Kumonga hides, and Gigan sets the webbing aflame and flies away.Then, an international Megazoology conference is held. Dr. Kenji Ando, a founder of Megazoology, speaks at the meeting. He says that Megazoology is the study of daikaiju. He then shows a slideshow about monsters, showing some information about them, such as their whereabouts. Anguirus is in the border of Mexico, Titanosaurus is in the ocean, most footage of Mothra has disappeared, Rodan was last seen above Canada, and then he shows others that are unaccounted for, like Battra, Hedorah, and SpaceGodzilla. Right after, doctor Ando shows the fire in Arizona, which is thought to have been caused by Gigan and Kumonga just hours before. There are many other kaiju that have not been discovered, said the doctor. At the same time, Zilla arrives at Honolulu, sending the people at the conference to panic. Lucy takes a camera and plans to film Zilla, but almost gets eaten by the monster. Right then, Steven Woods and his troops shoot at Zilla with guns, which seem to drive it away a little. Steven then tells an officer named Chavez to take Lucy to the hotel's shelter. Steven calls for weapons, and asks the name of this monster. The connection to the other officer gets glitchy, and as he is telling Steven that Godzilla is approaching, it is communicated as the monster's name being Zilla. Just then, a blue atomic breath is shot at Zilla. The troops turn around and see Godzilla approaching them.
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
Full art of the retailer incentive cover by Arthur Adams
Subscription variant cover by Arthur Adams
Issues 1 and 2 Japanese-language Wonder Festival 2016 cover by Matt Frank and Shinji Nishikawa
- Several sea creatures that resemble Shockirus make an appearance on page 4, along with the shipwreck of the Yahlen from Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.
- The Gotengo and the Heisei Mechagodzilla each make cameos as models on Chavez's desk in this issue, along with a photograph of Gorosaurus.
- Lucy's hotel room number is 1954, which is reference to the release date of the original Godzilla film.
- This comic marks Zilla's first comic book appearance.
- This comic features the first ever official battle between Godzilla and Zilla since Godzilla: Final Wars. The battle starts in this issue and ends in issue #2.
- In this comic, Zilla possesses the explicit design of the 1998 Godzilla rather than that of the 2004 Zilla, despite being a direct incarnation of the 2004 monster. In an interview, Chris Mowry stated that IDW used the 2004 Zilla so that the monster would not possess atomic breath, like the Godzilla from Godzilla: The Series.
This is a list of references for Godzilla: Rulers of Earth Issue 1. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 2 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.