Mothra Larvae (Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.)
Twin siblings that hatched from an egg left by their mother on a remote island, the Mothra larvae traveled to Tokyo to aid their mother in battle against Godzilla. Godzilla tried to blast the larvae with his atomic breath, but their mother flew in front of the blast, sacrificing her life to defend her offspring. Enraged, the larvae collaborated with Kiryu against Godzilla, finally trapping him in a silken cocoon after he was badly wounded by Kiryu. After Kiryu flew into the Japan Trench with the immobilized Godzilla, the twin larvae returned to Infant Island with the Shobijin.
The name "Mothra" is the suffixation of "-ra" (a common last syllable in kaiju names) to "moth." Since the Japanese language does not have dental fricatives, it is approximated "Mosura" in Japanese.
The twin Mothra larvae in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. were each given their own unique nicknames by the production crew. The male larva is called Taro (太郎, while the female is called Hanako Tarō) (花子. In an episode of the children's variety show Oha Suta promoting Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., the male and female larvae were instead referred to as Mosu Hanako) (モス and Lara Mosu) (ララ, respectively. Rara)
The twin Mothra larvae from Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. are actually non-identical, and display some minor sexual dimorphism upon closer examination. The male larva possesses longer tusks and tail spikes, along with more spots on his face compared to the female. The larvae's eyes are initially blue, but turn red after their mother is killed.
The two Mothra larvae show a great deal of affection for their mother, and are both heartbroken and enraged when she is killed by Godzilla. They ultimately work together with Kiryu to finally defeat Godzilla.
The twin Mothra larvae are the offspring of Mothra, herself a descendant of the Mothra that appeared in 1961. The larvae both hatched from a single egg that Mothra laid on an island, and immediately traveled to Tokyo to assist their mother against Godzilla.
On an island near Japan, an egg left by Mothra hatched into two twin larvae, much to the Shobijin's surprise. The larvae immediately headed for Tokyo, where their mother was locked in battle with Godzilla. The larvae reached Tokyo and met up with their mother, who had been wounded in the battle and was now unable to fly. While the larvae were conversing with their mother, Godzilla fired his atomic breath at them. Mothra quickly jumped into the air in front of her offspring, absorbing the entirety of the blast and exploding in a burst of flames. The larvae were heartbroken at their mother's death, and after briefly mourning her they entered battle against Godzilla. The larvae were too small and weak to seriously hurt Godzilla, but Kiryu soon reentered the battle and seriously wounded Godzilla by drilling into his chest. The larvae took the opportunity to spit silk all over Godzilla, trapping him inside a giant cocoon. Godzilla fell to the ground, but rather than kill him, Kiryu simply flew with Godzilla out to sea and sank into the Japan Trench with him. Their mother's death avenged, the larvae returned to Infant Island with the Shobijin.
The Mothra larvae can use their mandibles to bite enemies. One larva sneaks up behind Godzilla and bites down on his tail, which only seems to enrage him.
The two larvae can spit a stream of silk from their mouths. They ultimately defeat Godzilla by encasing him in a silken cocoon after he is seriously wounded by Kiryu.
The Mothra larvae are much smaller and weaker than Godzilla, who can easily knock them aside with his tail or blast them with his atomic breath. It is only the combined efforts of both larvae and Kiryu that are able to overcome Godzilla.
- Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
- Godzilla (2014) - PlayStation 3 and 4 [Kaiju Guide]
- Main article: Godzilla (2014 video game)/Kaiju Guide#Mothra.
- Main article: Mothra/Gallery.
- The role of the two Mothra larvae in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. is similar to that of the twin Mothra larvae in Mothra vs. Godzilla. In both cases, the twin larvae fight against Godzilla after their mother dies, and eventually defeat Godzilla by sealing him in a silken cocoon.
- The way one larva bites down on Godzilla's tail is a reference to a similar scene from Mothra vs. Godzilla, which was also referenced in Godzilla vs. Mothra.
- The male Mothra larva from Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. is the first known instance of a male Mothra appearing in a Godzilla film, not counting the Mothra larva in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, which was only referred to as a male in the film's English dub. A male Mothra, Mothra Leo, was previously the focus of the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, while a male larva was also featured in the 1984 Godzilland merchandise line.
This is a list of references for Mothra/Tokyo S.O.S. (Larvae). These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
Showing 0 comments. Remember to follow the civility guidelines when commenting.
<comments voting="Plus" />